Thursday, December 11, 2008

Convergence PART I

From what I gather, there are currently 2 pending Senate Bills (608 and 1796) with regard to Convergence Policy in the Philippines. So what is Convergence? The proposed Bills give their own definitions, but they just gave me a headache. To spare you the same pain, here’s the most succinct description I found: “Convergence is the merging of currently separate streams of data into a single stream.”

As was explained in class, the invention of digital technology has allowed different types of information to be converted into electrical pulses, packaged into uniform sizes and sent through an optic fiber pipe in correct order. So, think of it as video, audio, and data information all travelling together on one superhighway in their little telecom carpool; whereas before, they took separate cars and separate routes. Well, that’s how I understand it anyway. In real life, I guess that would translate to 3G calls, Skype, and pretty much anything you can download off the Internet – music, movies, games, etc.

So what does this all mean to us? Stay tuned for more.

No comments: