Wednesday, December 10, 2008

scared...for my identity

My phone and wallet got stolen last weekend…

Curiously, what made me cry (more) was not the fact that my cards were stolen, but that my phone and years worth of contacts, is now gone. I’ve relied too much in that little gadget that now I regret the day I stored my important information in it. I have practically a whole bio-data in it, complete with PIN number, account numbers, addresses.

It drives me crazy that the stranger who has my phone knows more about me than my family…and he might use it against me. I’m also scared of identity theft…it sounds so sci-fi, but with all the information in my phone, it’s possible that this person could actually assume my identity.

The convenience of having all your information neatly stored in one gadget is really a plus, but it’s also not safe. We are living in a time where we need to protect not only our physical safety, but also the safety of our “identity”. If we take the longer, more brightly lit street when going home at night, I think it’s also time, to take the more careful route in storing our personal information.

2 comments:

Angela de Guzman said...

I got that feeling too when my computer crashed before. It may sound like an exaggeration but it makes you feel like a part of your life was erased.

reiz tanchico said...

^ i know...it's like your life's worth of experiences stored in bits and what-have-you are now gone =(