Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Digital and analog Christmas

As of this year, I officially have 2 OFW friends. The first to leave was Malor, who works in Bahrain as a flight attendant, followed by Ria who is now in Turks and Caicos (a Carribean tax haven) counting money of shady depositors – she’s an accountant.

Anyway, this Christmas, there will be no partying for our group. Instead, the remaining 5 of us will content ourselves visiting Malor’s and Ria’s family whom they left behind. Ria has instructed her mother to cook for us. I hope she also instructed her to buy gifts for us. We could then video chat with Ria and Malor as well. At least, during Christmas, we continue to be complete as a group, although cyber in nature.

As for my mother and her barkada abroad, they haven’t caught up with the Internet yet, or at least not completely. They still send each other Christmas cards with family pictures in them, and call every now and then. Although my Ninang Aleth gets in touch with me through email, she gets in touch with my mother through greeting cards and long letters.

This morning I saw my mother writing Christmas cards for her friends abroad, which she will send next week, and will get to the recipient in January, after Christmas. It’s the thought that counts, right?

Maria Cristina Yambot

No comments: