Thursday, December 4, 2008

Internet Business: A Few Old School Points to Remember, Both for Sellers and Buyers.

I just talked with an online seller who will be shipping out my item tomorrow after I pay the balance of the purchase price tonight. She seems nice and accommodating but I still have to be on guard.

I've had several experiences on online shopping, but I mostly did meet-ups and COD due to lack of faith in postal services and lack of plastic cards. Though it entails more hassle, I thought it would be safer that way. I remember another Multiply seller who has Lomo cameras for sale. So I pre-ordered for a Holga and waited for almost 2 weeks. She made me go to Makati where she did most of her meet-ups. I took public transportation just to get there. We were supposed to meet at 7pm. Okay, I was an hour earlier. So I took out something to read. Then she started to send me an SMS.

Seller: Are you closer to Manila by any chance?
Me: Oh, I'm already in Glorietta.
S: I have to pick up your item from Manila pa kasi.
M: It's okay, I'm early anyway. And I can wait til around 7:30-8pm.
S: Super traffic!
M: Oh. Don't fret, you still have a lot of time.
S: It's not moving. As in deadlocked. San ka umuuwi? North?
M: East. Marikina.
S: I doubt I'd make it at 8:30 with this shithole. I'll ship the item nalang for free and I'll include 2 films!
M: Nah. I don't think shipping is a good idea.
S: Shipping is 100% safe naman. I had to park muna, I'm having dysmennorhea.
M: Sorry, I really don't trust the local postal services that's why I went here in Makati because I prefer meet-ups. I can wait until 7:30 but if you really can't make it, can we meet nalang in Marikina?
S: I'm from Paranñaque. We're from both ends. I hope you understand.
M: Yeah I do understand. I'm actually more concerned about the payment.
S: You can check the feedback on my page. And you can ask people from Lomomanila about me. How about if we meet on Monday?
M: Exams na so I wouldn't be able to make it on Monday anymore. (Meanwhile, I called up a friend who is into Lomos too ~ it turns out the seller was so unprofessional, delaying shipments of items, not replying to messages, being nice only to the male customers. What a B!)
M: I took your advice and called up someone from Lomomanila. Sorry but I will have to cancel our transaction.
S: Who did you call? You just accused me of being a fraud.
M: No, I didn't. I know you do ship and deliver the items but it just seems you don't value your clients very well as well as their time and effort. I don't have any other choice.
S: I offered to drive til 8:30, didn't I?
M: You said you DOUBT you can make it by 8:30. It doesn't sound much like an offer, does it?
S: I'm on the road still and gave you other options then bolted. Doesn't matter now, you made your choice. I hope this is not some game of retaliation.
M: I gave you an opportunity to push through with the transaction but as you've said we're in both ends. I understand the circumstances, being stuck in traffic and all. I know you may have tried your best but it's just not enough for the hassle I'm in right now.
S: Sorry, what hassle? You said you'd leave at 7:30, I had dysmennorhea attack, can't ignore it. So I parked. Tell me what I should have done. I somehow wish I could still make it up.

Argh! Everytime I remember it, it still pisses me off. I can't believe she still doesn't get it. She has no idea how much hassle she gave me! She's so arrogant and did not even apologize! She didn't think she did anything wrong. And all her excuses? So lame.

Lesson learned? Make sure you're dealing with a professional, who really values his/her customers well. A good businessperson would know that the customers should be treated nicely, even though they can be irate sometimes. Because public relations is very important in any business. A professional seller would be true to his/her words and would apologize if he/she caused any trouble. A professional seller would keep you informed of every stage of the transaction, would reply when you have queries, would accommodate you in any way possible.

I think, just like any other businesses, internet stores should likewise be regulated by the government. To protect the consumers! We should have something like Online Consumers Act. :)

I know this was just a few of the possibilities that could have happened that day. But yeah, it was my first horrible experience in dealing with a Multiply seller. However, I don't feel bad for cancelling my order (even though I was dying to get hold of a Holga then!) because I believe that seller doesn't deserve my money nor my respect at all.

No comments: