Thursday, December 4, 2008

Live Show

Justin.tv has been a very reliable friend of mine this year because it has allowed me to follow tennis all year long. And i thank anybody who gives tennis updates, live streams or just even live scores. Justin.tv has prevented me from gnashing my teeth by providing my weekly tennis sustenance most especially when a cable channel fails to deliver its peachy promise of a live coverage of a particular Master Series Event. (Yes, I am talking about YOU, Star Sports. I hate you so much!) Since this site has always been a constant source of joy for me, I was quite appalled when I found out in the news last night that a young man live streamed his actual suicide on the website. Other users didn't believe him while others even egged him on. It has now spawned an ethical and legal debate all over the internet. I think that the people who egged the young man to end his life while being fully aware of the fact that the guy is actually overdosing right before their eyes should be racked with guilt about what happened. But at the same time, this also raises a lot of issues about how the internet aggravated the sickeningly and disturbingly voyeuristic bent of our generation. I do not know whether an overly zealous content-policing of the videos being posted live would prevent problems like this from happening but I certainly feel that regulation would be in order. To what extent should areas like this be regulated is, of course, another issue.

No comments: