Thursday, March 12, 2009

Googling my city

It began with an OLA case that needed to be archived. In a nutshell, I needed to go to a San Juan court to procure a copy of a court order circa 2003. I had no idea how to get there. Since San Juan is in Metro Manila, it should have a website, right? Wrong. When I clicked on the link to San Juan at www.gov.ph, Eventually, I relied on my trusty road map to get there.

A few days ago, during one of my mindless surfing sessions, I went to the Philippine government site and clicked on the city that I've lived in my entire life, Quezon City. It has a website, with a smiling Mayor Belmonte on the top portion. It contained the standard details with regard to the city's offices and officials, programs and policies and awards garnered. But I did learn some new things, albeit trivial.
1. I did not know there was a public library inside the City Hall compound. It has wi-fi.
2. Mayor Belmonte's late wife, was the founder of the Philippine Star.
3. Amoranto, which I only knew as the name of the stadium with the huge swimming pool, was actually a former mayor of the city.

Next time, I'll search for my barangay.

No comments: