Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Poke You!

I’m a little upset at facebook. People seem to prefer announcing things via their status messages in facebook to the extent that they will no longer inform you personally of truly important messages. My friend, Melissa, is now based in San Diego. She has been there for seven or so years already. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to her best friend, Kathy, and I found out that Melissa apparently got engaged to Luis, her boyfriend. When I showed surprise, Kathy quipped, “Don’t you check your facebook?” Really, it’s not a big deal but it ticked me off that I wasn’t informed personally, being that she has been my kabarkada since college.

What’s funny is some people are more comfortable communicating in the cyberworld than in the real world even to real friends. It’s somehow easier to say “how you doin?” in the net than in actual life. In real life you just nod your head or raise your eyebrows to acknowledge the person. In the cyberworld, you’re forced to use words… well not really, you can actually choose to just “poke” them.

No comments: