Thursday, March 5, 2009

please spare the telecom industry

My parents work for the biggest telecom company in the country.

I couldn’t imagine how hard it was for other people to get a land line because ever since I could remember, we always had one. It wasn’t until competition came in that I realized how disgruntled people are with the existing telecom services. Even if they say that in the long run, competition would still benefit the consumers, for all the selfish reasons, I would rather that this big company dominate and monopolize the system because it means my parents would keep their jobs…and the perks.

For the past couple of years, I saw my mom close down one “exchange” after the other because their services were no longer needed. Again, I would like for better services, but it wouldn’t hurt if these people can also keep their jobs. For them, the cost of improved services, advancement in technology, and wireless service are their jobs. In the bigger scope of things, it would be beneficial for the public if we have more competition…but of course, in the meantime, we have these casualties who are now part of the unemployed.

My dad told my mom a couple of months back that because of the rampant “skyping” and other similar services, her department is fast becoming obsolete. She then asked him what management is thinking, he said that management would milk her department for all its worth…and then, who knows, they might just have to close her department down. That’s around 300 more people jobless.

*sigh* I do wish technology could spare the landline industry.

No comments: