Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hold on to your iButts, it’s iNot the iInternets

So I heard Microsoft will be borrowing a little concept from Macappletosh, and Gates and his homies will be setting up stylish, sexy boutiques for their products. They want to go the Apple way and sell an image, a hip proclamation of a lifestyle choice, along with a computer. Because, I guess, the first thoughts one associates with Bill Gates is “sexy”, and “hip”, so he just had to get that sexy hipness out there and translate it to a marketing concept. But seriously, I’m intrigued to see how Microsoft plans to replicate the iPhenomenon that is geeky minimalism, ironic, uncool coolness, and smug unsmugness. I might be typing on a Macappletosh right now, but outside circumstances dictate that. I’m not cool enough to have made that choice. Though I do appreciate the arrogance of simplicity, what with that single glowing orchard fruit and general better-than-you-ness. What’s Microsoft to offer, then? I say go the opposite direction and give us bigger, bolder, louder. Eschew the simple lines and the understatement of effort to be cool. Be harsh. Be brash. Be the 80’s. Go on, rock us like a hurricane. Microsoft, you deserve the dignity of contrast.

No comments: