Wednesday, March 4, 2009

ONLINE SONG HITS

My 40+ year old sister was preparing a musical number for the class of her Grade 3 daughter and wanted the lyrics of one of the songs in Grease, specifically "We Go Together". She was about to copy the lyrics of the song manually by listening to the CD and tiringly playing and pausing the CD to get the words right. Imagine her amazement when I told her that she could actually find the lyrics in the Internet. She was ecstatic.

I remember those times when I was younger and I wanted the lyrics to the songs in Beauty and the Beast and for hours I would listen to the cassette tape while I copied the lyrics in a scratch paper hurriedly. When that failed, I would buy Song Hits in the local sari-sari store. In 1st year High School, I had three notebooks where I had compiled lyrics of about 100+ songs which I had written by myself. I wasn't the only one who had lyric notebooks. Majority of the girls had them and we would race to get the lyrics of the newest songs. Around 3rd year High School, the Internet was slowly becoming popular and I would go to the local internet shop to save the lyrics of songs and print them at home.

Now, there's no use for notebooks. You just search the song online and print. You don't even have to know the title or the artist of the song, a few lines from the song will do. Just simply type the lyrics in Yahoo or Google with quotations and add the word "lyrics". It's so accessible already. But where's the fun in that?

2 comments:

Rom Obligacion said...

Yes! I used to have those notebooks. I buy those brown notebooks from Papemelroti. I also had those black notebooks where I use either a silver or gold gel pen.

In high school, I used to record the songs from the radio because I didn't want to buy cassette tapes. The recording will be played back over and over again to get the lyrics. Nostalgia!

The cassette tapes are now long gone. Everything's in my laptop already.

Sheila said...

haha. I can so relate to this... embarrassing as it may be to admit it. :-p I remember how i would wear the casette out with my numerous play-pause-rewind-play-stop sequence. ah, memories of childhood... hahaha