Thursday, January 26, 2012

Lola Techie, ikaw na!


I always envied my nephews.  They have my parents, their grandparents, who, without a doubt, spoil them.  Toys, trips, favors, anything they want that their parents won’t get them, the grandparents definitely will.  I never had a grandparent.  They all left before I was even in my parents’ plans. Anyway, I often imagined what my grandparents were, what they could have been, and what I want them to be if they were still alive.  Then I see this ISP advertisement of Lola Techie pulling off a gaming strategy with a “Huli ka boy!” and at that moment I knew I want a lola like her.

Who’s this Lola Techie? I know she’s just a made-up advertisement character, but I really don’t care, I like her.  So, I Googled her up and found her Facebook page.  On the self-description panel of her page, it says she’s a mother of six and a grandmother of sixteen.  She likes chatting, playing on-line games, surfing, blogging, and going to Youtube.  Cool right.  Then I remember this whole-page newspaper advertisement of her, years ago, it was a message for her grandchildren, giving them advises on everything- career, school, love life.  I remember this advertisement quite vividly because it was written in chat-speak.  Back then, I really am chat-speak illiterate.  My friends and I usually type the normal way, spelling out everything, thus my “illiteracy”.   I did not understand the message. I had to consult the net to decrypt the message.  It was fun, actually. 

I think it would be really cool to have a granny like her.  Someone to troubleshoot my internet connection, send me links to hilarious videos, help me with my research, or even play RPG games with me, but without the “Huli ka boy!” stunt please. I’m a gaming noob as I am.  Anyway, getting back to reality, I see my parents, aunts and uncles, my nephews’ grandparents on Facebook playing all those Facebook Applications.  And I realize, wait, Lola Techie is real!  And if I were asked to submit an entry for the new tourism campaign, I’d say “Gaming is more fun in the Philippines” with a hashtag Lola Techie.  

BTW, I also found this.  FYI. 
What comes after terabyte?
  8 Bits = 1 Byte
  1024 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte
  1024 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte
  1024 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte
  1024 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte
  1024 Terabytes = 1 Petabyte
  1024 Petabytes = 1 Exabyte
  1024 Exabytes = 1 Zettabyte
  1024 Zettabyte = 1 Zottabyte
  1024 Zottabyte = 1 Brontobyte - that is a 1 followed by 27 zeroes

Maricor Estrella, Blog Entry #6

No comments: