Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Unlocking Carly

I've watched a video in Youtube entitled "Autistic Girl Expresses Unimaginable Intelligence" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZVV4Ciccg&sns=fb). This video is about Carly, who was diagnosed with autism, and was unable to speak a word or connect to the world around her. But a remarkable breakthrough happened when she turned 11. She ran through a computer for the first time and began typing, H-U-R-T. Coincidence? Think again. A little bit later on, she typed H-E-L-P.

At first, her family and therapists were skeptical about it. For 10 years, they haven't seen Carly wrote a single word. Even the other therapists searched for proof but Carly refused to type. Instead, she exhibited hysterical behavior. She threw tantrums, threw up, locked herself in the bathroom.

Time to give up? No.

They gave her “tough love”. If she wanted something, she has to type it by herself first. Several months later, she started to type for others. And it was damn astonishing! Correct spelling and with fluency! Due to this, she was able to unravel the mysteries behind her wild behavior. By communicating, she had power over her environment. She was able to let people understand what she’s going through, what she feels and what she needs.

My heart cried when Carly wrote this to her father: “Dear Dad, I love when you read to me. And I love that you believe in me. I know I am not the easiest kid in the world; however, you are always there for me, holding my hand and picking me up. I love you.”

Now, Carly has a voice that can help other kids (and parents as well). She looks at herself not anymore as a burden and a disability, but as someone who can express hee thoughts, serve as an inspiration and leave a mark in the world.

This is a very heartfelt story. The love and dedication given by Carly’s parents changed her life. Carly now gives hope to everyone in the world of autism. I checked her blog – (http://carlysvoice.com/), Twitter and Facebook page and I was impressed with her positivity, understanding and insight. She’s even writing a novel!

I’m fascinated at how the Internet, even in its little and simple ways, can change one’s perspectives, change one’s outlook, and change one’s life. Personally, someday, I want to be that parent - who has never given up on her child, come what may.

More than inspiring us, I think Carly has illuminated what most of us take for granted – that is, how to live life.

Angeli I. Serapio, Entry #5

No comments: