Wednesday, March 2, 2011

(#15) Of Facebook and Other Drugs


Hi, I’m Lui and I’m a Facebook addict. I have tried numerous times to deactivate my account yet I continuously reactivate it. There were even instances when this process took place several times in just one day. However, there was also a time when I was able to fight the urge to log in for a few weeks (but I think it was less than a month). This was because it came to a point that I would just hit the “refresh” button over and over again just so that I could get “most recent” updates in the lives of the people in my friends list despite the fact that I had way too much work to do, even during exams. It’s downright pathetic.


I must be able to practice self-discipline to regulate my excessive use sooner rather than later. Otherwise, I’d have to seriously consider leaving Facebook - only to return again unless I’d really decide not to, but could I really? Almost like the Internet and cellphone, Facebook has become very nearly a necessity because of the convenience with which we can communicate with others because of it. It’s been speculated that people probably check their Facebook account more often than their email. Besides, it’s easier to find and get in touch with people through Facebook rather than searching for a person’s email address or cellphone number.


However, with all the benefits of Facebook, privacy and security issues still continue to persist. Although, there are account settings and privacy settings which each user can utilize to manage who will be able to see the information he/she shares and to what extent, his/her activites, etc., the default setting is still open access or public view. For example, I sent friend requests to several people and I’d already be able to see their recent activities even if they haven’t accepted my request, which makes Facebook the ultimate stalking device ^_^


Hopefully, Facebook would exert more efforts to ensure privacy especially for people who are not aware of the features of this social networking site. Sure, users must be careful and vigilant but as the service provider, would it hurt to err on the side of caution?


Ma. Luisa Manalaysay
Entry No. 15
image source:

No comments: