Wednesday, March 16, 2011

We we we so excited... for Rebecca Black's Friday!


This video went viral over the weekend and the last I checked, it had about 9,332,311 views on Youtube. Some have even voted "Friday" as the worst song ever made. What exactly makes this song and video so bad? Even Time Magazine joins the disturbingly intense debate and answers:

For starters, there's the opening verse, which is just a straight up narration of what Rebecca's morning routine consists of ("Gotta get down to the bus stop/ Gotta catch my bus/ I see my friends"). Then there's Rebecca's apparent obsession with choosing a spot in the car, which also adds the song's riveting central conflict ("Kicking in the front seat/Sitting in the back seat/ Gotta make my mind up/ Which seat can I take?"). But the song's lowest point (albeit its most hilarious) is when Rebecca literally just sings the days of the week ("Tomorrow is Saturday/ And Sunday comes afterwards").
Well I disagree. Based on the nasty comments on Youtube, I think we're all being a little too harsh here. She's 13! When I was 13 I wasn't allowed to par-tay and I spent a lot of my time crocheting -- I don't remember being gripped with such profound existentialist angst about picking where to sit when my similarly under-aged friends come over in their parents' car. Plus the song is catchy ("We we we so excited/We so excited") and even has someone who eerily looks like Usher rapping in the latter half. This song is sooo WIN!

Anyway, I propose we make this our class anthem. Waking up at 7 a.m. on a Friday morning is something I'm sure we can all relate to.

No comments: