Thursday, March 3, 2011

Video City

I miss going to Video City and other video rental shops. Pirated CDs started it. The internet finished it off. The culture of renting videos is long gone. Today, people either buy pirated CDs or download movies in the net. The culture of renting videos is long gone.

I miss browsing through titles not knowing what I want and leaving with what I want. For me, video rental stores provided an avenue to movies of generations before. I would not have been aware of certain titles had it not been for these stores. Going to video rental stores is like going to a library. Only you have VHS tapes, VCDs, and DVDs. With downloading, you have to know what you are looking for.

Sadly even with Video City's low low rates of Php 25.00 per VCD/DVD, it couldn't save the industry. Video rental stores started to close down one by one. I guess it made more sense for people to collect pirated CDs or download movie files from the net and have their own personal movie library.

post no. 15

No comments: