Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Idiots have come to town


I recently watched the movie The 3 Idiots. It's a Bollywood movie that was released in 2009 and never passed through Philippine cinemas. A number of my friends had been saying that the movie was good. Despite my aversion to Bollywood song and dance numbers, I decided to watch it. If I used torrent, then movie wouldn't be so hard to find. It would be a simple matter of typing in the title in the search bar and viola I would have my movie ready to be downloaded. All I would have to do was leave the download running while in class and the movie would be ready by the time I'd get home.

ICT not only facilitated my transfer of files but it also allowed the transfer of culture. My friends wouldn't have known about The 3 Idiots if it hadn't been available or been talked about online. Luckily though, it was. We always say how technology bridges gaps. But we often say this when talking about long distance relationships, overseas workers, and the like [key PLDT commercial]. But technology also bridges gaps between foreign cultures. The tide of Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, and yes even Hindu culture that has swept the Philippines may be attributed in large part to the availability of movies, tv series, and songs online. Apparently technology doesn't just bridge communication gaps but it also breaks down cultural divides.

Paul Obmina, entry no. 16

No comments: