Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Uy... Phishing!




I remember two weeks ago that Sir Rudy asked me to research on the etymology of the word “phishing”. I wasn’t able to recite on it last week since we had our film showing. Thus, I would just write about it today. :)

The term “phishing” comes from the words “password” and “fishing”, and phishing is done by creating bogus websites imitating original ones so that attackers can access information such as password, usernames, etc.[1]

Speaking of phishing, I have long pondered upon on whether the Yahoo! Mail website I’ve been accessing is a bogus website. I rarely use Yahoo! Mail nowadays and during the rare times that I log in to my Yahoo! account, there’s an option allowing users to sign in using their Facebook or Google accounts. This I find weird. Why would Yahoo! allow its users to log in to their Yahoo! accounts using an account provided by a competitor?! It’s admitting that there are now more Google than Yahoo! e-mail users, especially since the option is not available the other way around! Yahoo! account users cannot access their Google accounts using their Yahoo! accounts. Maybe Yahoo! is indeed accepting this fact and is now taking advantage of it.

Anyway, I’ve never used the option and I log in the traditional way. I still just type my username and password which are… Uy, phishing! :P

Kate Lomoljo

Entry 17


[1] http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec080424

No comments: