Saturday, March 12, 2011

Do-Gooder Identity Thief

I found this story on 9gag.com. I guess not everyone finds identity theft repulsive. And I guess not everyone would complain about trolling.


"I work at a Mac Store in a decent sized city. Tons of people come in every day and try out all of our computers/iPhones/iPads/whathaveyou. It's not uncommon for a few people per day to go on Facebook and forget to sign out.

I (and a couple of my coworkers) often enjoy messing with such Facebook profiles when business slows down. Typically, I would just write troll status updates or change their "interested in" section to men (if it's a dude).

A few weeks ago, it was a really slow Monday evening and I had a new idea. My "victim" appeared to be a beta male type (not an alpha male) and he was single. I went through his contacts, found a single girl, and sent her a message telling her how "I" had a crush on her for a while and asking her whether she would like to go to a movie later that week.

Now I've done this a few times since, but it takes more work than a simple troll status.
Anyway...


Yesterday at closing time, I was shutting down all the computers and I found one with Faceboook still logged in. I was about to troll it when I noticed it was the same guy as before! (His profile picture was of himself feeding a llama; it was kind of memorable).


So, I scrolled down and noticed that he was now in a relationship

...with the girl I messaged!
"



On other reflections from this story... Does it really take getting trolled by a Mac Store clerk for some guys to make a move?

Maricris L. Real
Entry No. 16

No comments: