Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cooking at your Fingertips

On my way home the other night, I received a text message from my guy best friend Mallows (It’s my term of endearment for him but mind you, he’s not gay.=p ) asking me how to cook spaghetti sauce. I laughed upon reading the message and proceeded to respond to his query. Good thing that I was registered on the unlimited text promo of Globe because my message went beyond 2 parts I think. (Well, I had to elaborate and be very precise about the instructions knowing how he doesn’t really cook.) He thanked me and told me that he was going to cook pasta for his office outing. If you ask me, I think he’s doing it to impress a certain girl from work and not just because he was being nice.

Flashback: This isn’t the first time he asked me how to cook something. Back in 4th grade, he called me via the landline to ask me how to cook rice as he was home alone and famished. So I had to instruct him on how to do it, patiently waiting at the other end of the line as he did what I told him to do. That I think started his interest in cooking but he still preferred to come over our house and bug me to cook for him.

My point is our style of communicating has evolved. Now, when we want something we go ahead and ask or text someone for answers. Instantaneous replies are at our fingertips, although the choice to reply right away is still ours –if we don’t want to be “reachable” at all times.) If I wanted a certain recipe, I now can go over the Internet and pick out the highest rated or highly recommended recipe for the dish that I’m interested in learning instead of consulting voluminous recipe books. I can also go on Youtube or the FoodNetwork website to watch cooking shows. And still for some, they can go text their best friends and ask since they are too lazy to go online. Now, I’m off to find that chicken parmigiana recipe- I’ve been itching to cook it for ages. =)

No comments: