Thursday, August 13, 2009

One couch at a time

I recently went out with a high school friend who was hosting an Irish guy. Apparently, there’s this new social networking thing called CouchSurfing - new since I’ve only recently heard of it but when I checked out their site, it’s been in existence since 2004.

Membership to CouchSurfing is free. It simply requires online registration. The core activity of the organization is the exchange of accommodation or surfing. Acting as a host, a member offers the possibility of accommodation. Acting as a surfer, a traveler may search for and request accommodation at his destination. The website then serves as a way for members to coordinate contacts and home accommodation with other users from around the world.

My friend explained to me the set-up. My reaction was ‘are you serious?! Have you ever tried it?’ The Irish we took around was his second surfer and my friend admitted that he has never surfed in his travels. My chief concern about this kind of set-up was safety. So how safe was it? This was how it addressed the safety concerns - the website allows the creation of extensive profiles and uses an optional credit card verification system, a personal vouching system and personal references. It also offers other features such as discussion groups, events and meetings.

I actually wouldn’t mind having a stranger sleep in my house (house=entire family+helpers, haha) for a couple of days since I can appreciate what CouchSurfing aims to do. It wants to force an interaction. So instead of staying in a hotel and sightseeing on your own, you are then forced to see more through a local’s perspective. However, I don’t think I can see myself surfing in someone’s couch. I honestly don’t think that I can trust the information that I can find online.

Funny. That with all the social networking things that are suddenly sprouting and its obvious addictiveness, I still feel a bit hesitant about it. I just think that when you’re online, you can create a whole new different persona which can only be verified upon a face-to-face meeting.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/

3 comments:

Brian said...

I found your article, as I'm an active CouchSurfer. When I first learned about CouchSurfing, I thought, "Hey, a free place to stay!" Then I started reading profiles... and it sounded like these people were actually friends.

A year later, I've met some of my best friends through CS!

The good thing is no one is forced... most of us just get tired of doing the "tourist" stuff. I think of it as "Friends I haven't met yet... who might want to show a new friend their city." And that's what it's been like for me.

While CS does have built-in safety features, safety is still an individual's responsibility. With over a million members, any community will have it's share of flakes. However, everyone I've surfed/hosted has been a good person and I'm all the better for having met them.

Give it a try, you might actually really enjoy it!

Cheers!
Brian
http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/brian

Ma. Lourdes C. Polido said...

oh. thanks for the comment!

im actually thinking of doing it with my friend over the sembreak when we go to Vietnam, haha. wish us luck!

Zorayda Daarol said...

I find this really interesting and a little surprising. Just like you, I would be worried about safety too. Its amazing how the Internet has changed so many social interactions between people. I don't know if, like you, I would have the guts to actually try this out but who knows? I hope it works with your trip to Vietnam! :)