Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Separation Anxiety

The time is such now that we've become so used to our internet connections that just being away from the internet for a day seems like such an unthinkable thing.

I'm in London right now and to get here, our flight lasted for 15 hours. After that long flight, the first thought on my mother's head was, "I need to check my facebook account and change my status message!" Our hotel has complimentary internet and when we arrived there in the wee hours of the evening, my mother wanted me to configure the internet into her laptop immediately.

I was very, very jet-lagged having barely slept the night before we left Manila and having barely slept on the plane ride. The only thing I wanted to do at this point was fall into my bed and get some much needed sleep. But my mother HAD to get her internet. She was experiencing some definite separation anxiety.

And I began thinking, is this what we have come to? 15 years ago, the internet wasn't even part of most person's daily lives. Now, we can't even seem to go a day without it.

1 comment:

Loverhette Jeffrey P. Villordon said...

A day without internet?!?
God forbid!