Tuesday, August 4, 2009

You're Dead

Is it me or is the death toll on the rise these days? My friend Kai just recently lost her mother...my housemate Nickie's dad died two weeks ago...my Steplola died a week ago...and Cory died last Saturday. Makes one wonder if there really is a Cosmic Muffin Architect in the heavens. Imagine if Cyberspace is controlled by a Cosmic Muffin Architect of its own - a geeky boy with horn-rimmed glasses, clad in rubber duckie pjs. Would you trust this boy with your precious files? I wouldn't.

But it isn't far-fetched that some boy in Japan would be able to hack into some social networking site. And he'd:

Destroy your photos!
Kill (delete) all your friends!
Annihilate your Cyberproperty!
Obliterate your Cyberself into pixel dust!

You are for all intents and purposes in Cyberspace, DEAD. But you could resurrect yourself. Make a new account, or whatever. This Phoenix like ability to conjure a new you from the ashes is something magical. On the other hand, if one’s already dead and they still have an account in a social networking site, it’s just plain creepy. Remember when Miko Sotto died? Tapos nakangiti pa rin sya sa Friendster? Oh davah, creepy?

2 comments:

Maureen dela Cruz said...

When a good friend of mine passed away recently, his former professor posted condolences on the Facebook account of the deceased individual. We were all scratching our heads over that "I'm-so-sorry-that-you're-dead" social blunder... unless the poor prof thought that my friend would be reading it in some cyber-heaven and laughing hard to himself at the morbid mistake.

Loverhette Jeffrey P. Villordon said...

This really got me thinking. Perhaps I should save my pictures in an external hard drive too rather than just keeping everything in multiply, facebook and photobucket