Thursday, August 6, 2009

*Tititit-teet-teet-tititit (msg:Classes Cancelled due to heavy rain)

I’m a summer person, I love the sun. I grew up near the ocean, and the ocean is no good without the sun. In fact the ocean is scary if it rains. Aside from the anger of the ocean there are other things that I hate about the rain and the rainy season, most of them are inconveniences I suffer here in the city among them are:

1. Getting my shoe/feet wet
2. Getting stuck in traffic
3. Going to school only to find out classes are cancelled
4. Having to stay up late to wait for the latest weather update and announcement from CHED

I don’t mind a little rain, but if it’s raining cats and dogs and the outside world is unsafe it’s a good idea to stay dry inside the house. But how do we know when we can do this freely? How do we know that classes and work is cancelled? Not all of us can keep our eyes on the tube 24/7 and our ears on the radio or keep checking the net for updates, but all of us can take a few seconds to check our cellphones if it beeps. Being the text capital of the world, it is safe to believe that the citizens are just an SMS away. One warning text can mean the safety of millions in times of natural calamities. I heard from a friend that an SMS warning system is being developed for tsunami. The same can be done for weather updates. It’s so easy, the technology has been here all the while.


*message alert tone care of Joseph

No comments: