Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Movies

I have been an avid moviegoer since I cannot remember when. I own probably in excess of 2,500 movie titles in three different storage media, Betamax, VCD, and DVD.
My taste in movie is a bit eclectic, although I would admit that I am more partial to action movies. I have seen most of what can be considered as great ones from the Ten Commandments, El Cid, Ben-Hur. The more recent ones include 300, Lord of the Rings, and Transformers. Because of my kids, I also watch what is now more popularly called anime which we used to call cartoons.

The changes in movie making technology have definite improved the end product. The more significant change has been the use of computer generated images which makes movies more real to the audiences. The Lord of the Rings, for instance, was written many years ago but was only recently turned into a trilogy due to apprehensions that the then technology would not do justice to the book. I think most of us would agree that the trilogy, with the use of the most advanced computer generated images, turned out to be not only very realistic but definitely very entertaining.

The sector that benefited most in advances in movie graphics is the animation sector. If I recall correctly, full length animations then took such a long time to make as these were in fact hand drawn. Being such, they also cost a lot of money to make. It is therefore not surprising that full length cartoons then were far and few in between. Over the last ten years, this has all changed. Animations are giving “real” movies a run for their money.

Filipino graphic artists have benefited from the upsurge in animation movie making. Even in terms of Japanese anime, Filipino graphic artists are preferred due to their reputation as the best in the world.

Sitting inside a theater or watching a movie in the comfort of home, I sometimes wonder what other possible changes are in store for us in the future. Will we be able to finally watch movies in three dimension as depicted in Star Wars? What will the movie house of the future look like?

2 comments:

Amberle Brin said...

Tito sa Robinsons near Boni Ave...one of my friends said you can watch the entire movie in 3D (and not just parts of it)...but you still need to wear the glasses. :)

Joanna Eileen Capones said...

Weh. May 3D cinema na Robinsons Pioneer? You can watch 3D movies in IMAX MOA or SM North. May 3D cinema na rin sa Trinoma. And yes, you still need the blue-red glasses.

Super saya daw nung U2 3D experience eh. Para ka talagang nasa concert. Although I prefer the Jonas Brothers. Hahahaha. Joke.