Monday, August 10, 2009

Cyberpatrolling in Your Home

I was surfing the TV one day when I chanced upon a story in Discovery Channel about two Koreans who fell in love while playing Warcraft online. Girl was in distress (being chased by monsters) when Boy (a warrior in the game) saved her. Awww.. how sweet. Pfft.

While it is conceded that some people have found their true love over the Internet, this looking for love over the Internet should be limited only to adults. Teenagers have no business looking for love online. It’s a very dangerous place. The Internet is a breeding ground for child molesters. I’ve seen countless episodes of Dateline and I still get dumbfounded by the tenacity of these sexual predators. In the Philippines, we don’t really have enough resources to finance a pedophile-hunt and it makes me cringe that a teenage girl out there might be victimized by these animals.

I guess it all starts in the home. Parental control cannot be overly-emphasized. Teenagers have this precarious combination of raging hormones and an insatiable curiosity for the unknown. Hmm… so I guess I better watch my little sister’s every move. She’s seven, but hey, they all start young.

Note to paranoid self:
Tell Mommy to put the PC in the living room.
Monitor Yana’s Friendster account.
Forbid her to join Facebook – because we can never be too careful. Heeh.

1 comment:

Loverhette Jeffrey P. Villordon said...

As a soon-to-be-dad, I'm placing the PC in the living room too, just to be safe. :)