Wednesday, September 14, 2011

NBN: Are We Learning Yet?

The good news is, the Government isn't abandoning the National Broadband Network (NBN). In fact one of the things that the President made clear after visiting China was his intention to revive the project, this time without any legal hiccups.

However, I cannot help but wonder: why in the mother of all that's decent will ZTE be allowed to bid again? Honestly, to me the problem is not whether or not they plan to play by the rules and obey the law this time around. If they do, then more power to them. The problem is they have lost so much trust in this country that everything they get their hands on will be tainted with doubt. We want to build the NBN on a foundation of trust, not doubt, which is something ZTE can't do. As the great band Parokya ni Edgar said, and I translate into english: trust is like chocolate, once melted, it looks and feels like sh**. Anything ZTE does here will feel the same way.

Also, I wish to remind our dear president of the saying: "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." I certainly hope he has no plans of playing the fool, for it is an accusation he has so far had trouble dispelling.

Miguel Tensuan, Entry 13, 9-14-2011

No comments: