Thursday, February 2, 2012

WHAT'S GOOGLE UP TO THESE DAYS???

Last week, as I was surfing the net, my sight was drawn to this yellow box on the upper-right hand side of the screen containing a link that explains recent changes to Google's Privacy Policy. Clicking the thing, I was brought to a Google page that started with:

"We’re getting rid of over 60 different privacy policies across Google. . .This stuff matters, so please take a few minutes to read our updated Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service now. "

Yeah right! Since I didn't have a gun to my head, I stopped reading further and immediately jumped to the bottom of the page, which said:

"March 1, 2012 is when the new Privacy Policy and Google Terms of Service will come into effect. If you choose to keep using Google once the change occurs, you will be doing so under the new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service."

Uh, okay.

I didn't bother to find out what Google had to say. As a student of law, I have enough reading backlog that would last me 'til the year 2037. Besides, I didn't intend to break my beloved tradition of never taking online nonsense like Disclaimers, Privacy Policies, and Terms of Service seriously. Skipping them has been a great cardio.

Make no mistake, I am a very private person, but I'm definitely not sadistic. I don't have the time to peruse paragraphs that are intentionally crafted to be incomprehensible. They are long, convoluted and contain a healthy dose of BS.

Instead of fielding information, they make you feel stupid. You actually feel less informed after reading those things. With veiled vagueness, they take your breath away. (And not in a good way.)

Documents like those would make fine instruments of torture for hardened terrorists in Guantanamo Bay.

Pero aba! When I opened my Gmail account there goes Google haunting me again with changes in their policy. I know this is not characteristic of the search engine giant. Like Facebook, Google prides itself with non disclosures and unilateral actions. So I guess this is really a big deal. But unless they title that thing with, 'John Lloyd at Shaina, Nagkabalikan', I'm not reading it.

http://noypitayo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/John-Lloyd-Cruz-and-Shaina-Magdayao-Break-Up.jpg

Yes, I believe in Google. (For now). I don't think they will be stupid enough to alienate their users. I love it when they change homepage logo every so often -- like on Thomas Edison's birthday or when Pacman, the game, had it's 30th Anniversary.

As of the moment, I really don't know what's Google up to these days. If anyone out there knows, shoot me an email or text. I'll definitely appreciate it!


Diana Lutgarda P. Bonilla, Entry # 7


No comments: