Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Beware of Internet Transactions

Unlike the older generations, ours and the ones after us are not afraid of technology. In fact, we gladly embrace it and we cannot wait for innovations that would make our lives easier. One awesome innovation is credit card transactions over the Internet. For four years now I personally have enjoyed the wonders of how one click would turn into a package of goods. And I trusted the process wholeheartedly. I was never concerned about security, not even as an afterthought. Perhaps because the first transactions I made were with US companies. I thought everything was foolproof so long as I deal with known sellers, until my Citibank credit card was hacked after booking with www.cebupacificair.com (which also happened twice to my mom in separate transactions). Not only must we be wary about hacking, but also in dealing with unscrupulous sellers, who I fell victim to a few times - once when a dress I ordered faded after the first wash and another when they sent dailies contact lenses instead of the monthlies they were advertising. Online shopping would perhaps be the next big thing when it comes to the retail industry. But I hope these stories serve as a warning to anyone who dares to venture into this activity.

No comments: