Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Trusting Our Children

Last Tuesday night, I found myself listening to a talk on the new Norton Online Family online software application held at Greenbelt 2. The activity was offered to the members of the Norton Inner Circle by Symantec. I joined the club since I was very much interested in the developments of online security.

The software application is a modified version of the parental controls found in Windows Vista. Compared with the latter, there are more options and levels of protection that may be provided depending on the discretion of the parent. Those were the answers I got after asking the resource person.

I have nothing against the software.

My concern is on the effects of such regulation mechanism. Like many other parental control devices out there, these things are merely obstacles for children, who'll figure out how to bypass them later. The solution should be proper education and upbringing by responsible parents. In the process, values and principles should be imbibed by the children as a function of the lifestyle choices of their parents. More than teaching responsibility, the parents should learn from their side to trust that their children learned their lessons. That is the best parental control I know.

No comments: