Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Nothing is Original"

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, painting, photograph, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speaks directly to your souls. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery, celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: " It is not where you take things from - its where you take them to." - Jim Jarmusch


When I first saw this quote from the web, it made me smile. From the moment I have been taught in school to do research, it has always been impressed on me that “stealing” ideas is a bad thing and it is a big no-no. I have been taught to always be “original”. Not only because copying others can be considered plagiarism, but also because doing such act could actually get me kicked out of school. So when I saw this image it made me realize that we are all guilty of “stealing” at one point of our lives or another. Whether we know it or not, we are a product of the entities that inspire us. Our thoughts, memories, ideas are an amalgamation of the thoughts, memories, and ideas of other people. And there is nothing wrong with that. Great people have always built on the ideas of the people that has come before them. I’m sure even Einstein’s Theory of Relativity was a product of the amalgamation of the works of other physicists that inspired him. Disclaimer though: I still believe in giving credit where credit is due. So when in doubt, cite your sources (and use Myrna Feliciano’s Blue Book for good measure ;p). If only to not get oneself into the trouble of being accused of plagiarism.

- Gino Paulo O. Uy, Entry #2

No comments: