Wednesday, June 30, 2010

In Our Time

I knew the day would come, but not this soon. In our last family reunion, I caught myself telling my 15-year old cousin, “In our time…”

He’s a gamer, so we were talking about how back in the day, eight megabytes of RAM would already make you famous. Now, two to four gigabytes of RAM is becoming the standard – and that’s excluding the one gigabyte of dedicated video RAM. Heck, I’m barely nine years older and I was able to make my cousin’s jaw drop at how primitive we were “back in the day.”
You could imagine how we went on talking about floppy disks, mIRC, and dial-up modems and the funny sounds they made. Just nine years older, and I felt like a grandpa.

If you can craft a generation gap in just nine years, your usual Baby Boomer-Gen X-Gen Y framework simply will not hold. Landmark software or hardware would be more accurate in branding (and understanding) the youth today. What standards do we use though? Are they the Google Generation or iPod babies? The YM kids, the YouTube trolls, or the dual core spoiled brats? Or are all these generations on their own?

No comments: