Sunday, June 20, 2010

Random Thoughts on the History of the Internet

According to this nice infographic with soothing colors (although I think the actual info could be presented better), the following useless facts can be discerned:

  • Packet-data switching and TCP/IP were developed just a few years after Martial Law was declared in the Philippines in 1972.
  • By the time of the EDSA Revolution (and just about the time I was born), the first .coms were set up.
  • Just as I was in the thick of elementary school during the heydays of the Ramos administration, little did I know that the WWW protocol had already been perfected, and the first popular web browser was already developed.
  • Flash-forward to high school, Erap came and went, and I got my first-ever personal cellphone (a noke 3210). I was already very familiar with Napster and Google, but I didn't know that the first blogs, as they are now known and called, were set up during this time.
  • Out with Erap, and into the Arroyo administration (and into UP Diliman, yay!). Friendster makes its mark on the world and introduces social networking. That preceding sentence was just lip-service, the real breakthrough (which I actually used) during this time was none other than BitTorrent.
And the rest is history...