Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blame IT

When I'm trying to cut back on expenses, I stay at home. I either watch TV or read a book, but mostly, I go online. Per my usual internet regimen, I check my email, log in to facebook, then watch TV series via live streaming. Unfortunately, that strategy hasn't really been working out for me lately.

Last May, for example, I got an email from Cebu Pacific announcing a seat sale to select Philippine destinations. Since I practically had no vacation because of summer OLA, I jumped at the chance and ended up booking a flight with my friends. Several days later, as I was innocently browsing through facebook updates, a picture of a girl wearing a cute shirt caught my eye. Curious, I clicked on the link and it brought me to an album offering tons of stuff for sale. By the time i left the site, I had placed my order for 3 tops and 2 necklaces. So much for cost-cutting.

If you think about it, at its core, there's really just one thing that the internet offers: access to information. Everything else is a variation of how that information is to be disseminated and how it may be exchanged. The important thing, it seems, is to get the information out there. On account of the internet's wide reach, someone, somewhere is bound to act on it favorably. This time, it seems, that sucker just had to be me.

No comments: