Thursday, June 17, 2010

Parents on Facebook

It all started when my parents’ college batch had a grand reunion last April. Blockmate 1 teased that despite growing old, they should still be “hip and cool.” Blockmate 2 then had the brilliant idea for all of them to join Facebook. (“Everyone I know is on Facebook!”) Agreeing to the suggestion, Blockmate 3 said it would even be an easier way for them to remain in touch, and yes, for them to remain “in.”

The peer pressure was on. That same night, my parents had their Facebook accounts .

It didn’t bother me at first. I didn’t think my parents would be techie enough to explore the features of Facebook. (My mother even thinks that the Internet is a waste of time!) Yet there it was in my Friends Requests – profile pictures of my Mamsee and Popsee. What happened next
is reminiscent of this South Park episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuaVZZEslc

For weeks, I ignored their requests. That was until my dad brought up the topic. He said that it’s really ok if I didn’t want to add them as friends on Facebook. After all, they do understand that I wanted some privacy. (Talk about reverse psychology!) As if on cue, my mom added, “But your brother and sister added us, and even some of your friends!” (And now they’re playing the bad cop – good cop!)

Their tag team was (and has always been) effective. That same night, I confirmed their requests. My parents and I are now officially friends on Facebook.

I just really hope it won’t boil down to me suing them like what this 16-year-old did. (kidding!) http://www.pcworld.com/article/193776/teen_sues_mom_for_hacking_facebook_account.html

1 comment:

Felman Gem Magcalas said...

Hahahaha. My parents are in FB too.

It's quite annoying (sometimes)when they tend to give meaning to every status update you make, tapos magko-comment (mag-sesermon?)sila for everybody to see. :P

Self-censored na nga ako 'nung wala sila e, ano pa kaya ngayong friends na kami du'n? :D