Saturday, June 26, 2010

IMHO: Media diet is healthy for students and teachers
























When one of our ICT classmates (Rania J) posted about Droste effect and the problems of Wikipedia as depicted by XKCD Comics, I concluded
I need to media diet -- cutting on gaming, watching TV, listening to the radio, microblogging, blogging, texting, emailing, and my favorite appetite, surfing the internet. This kind of surfing is not making the waves for my acquisition of discipline and productivity and better grades.

As a usual consequence of this "fascinated clicking", I will need to digress (as always). These are some of the reasons why I go on board and surf. You may want to try them too. Disclaimer: They might not be healthy for you.

SELF-MEDICATE YOURSELF.

I don't go to doctors right away. Below are safe sites to go to when you don't feel like going to the doctor because you think you're not dying anytime soon anyway (these sites are based on an issue of Reader's Digest):


www.myhealth.gov.ph
www.moh.gov.sg
www.webmd.com
medicineplus.gov
www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov
www.cochrane.org.au/library
scholar.google.com
www.patientslikeme.com
www.labtestonline.org


DON'T FACEBOOK WAY TOO MUCH.

Instead, waste your time reading other stuff. Below are sites that sure will waste some hours. I'm not even talking about RPGs or browser games which can waste days and lives.

Am I right or what?

Professional Heckler will sure give you that sense of political correctness, or the lack of it. You need to read this like SCRA.
Mental Floss
knows you want to.
Maddox says you can't disagree with this.
27bslash because the kitten is lost.
Tunay na Lalake ka ba?


What's out there?

Dark Roast Blend
Mashable

SCRA should illustrate this way!

Questionable Content
is a favorite!
Death Note
Cyanide & Happiness
PHD Comics
Order of the Sticks

So you BitTorrent? Then you should know the Subpoena Defense! Downloading movies for free sure is fun but illegal.


And now back to topic. See how much one can binge on one medium alone? This media-binge can cause short attention spans. But the irony of it all is that, although it lessens your attention span, it still makes you stay online for hours, but only for a few minutes per web page! So finally, why is media diet healthy? In my humble opinion, because it can spell much difference between productivity and stagnation. You don't want to rust on things that really matter in real life (like memorizing the Rules of Court). It can improve your coherence and mastery of a subject too!

I will read on media diet later. Ooops. I meant cases. I wonder if the government can implement a law which regulates media consumption. Unconstitutional? If not, really, how?


The girl with ADD:
Paulyn Duman
Blog #3
Go Germany!


Other blogs:
IMHO: Digitized sins are forgiven
IMHO: UP College of Law should improve its cellphone signal reception
IMHO: Media diet is good for students and teachers

13 comments:

Andrew John Lena said...

funny, my summer consisted of nearly twice that 9-hour amount everyday...

God bless any professor who'd try to call me for a recit (none so far this sem).

Pau Duman said...

no way! twice that much time? funny! i spent half of that 9-hour everyday--amidst OLA, LSG, work and out of towns! What an appetite for media! *burp*

Andrew John Lena said...

Finished 6 anime series, watched 5-10 full length movies, finished 3 games (fallout 3, dragon age, sims 3), added at least 500 websites to my bookmarks/stumbleupon..

All of that had the effect of me wanting to study now. I hope. :)

Pau Duman said...

Ok. That made me really envious. You had me at 6 anime series. No way! Not fair, not fair. What's your SU username? 500 websites FTW!

Andrew John Lena said...

SU: talibandrew.

1 hour of clicking "Stumble!" (and reading the webpage) will get you at least 10 or so pages.

Multiply by 12 hours, that's easily around 100 pages in an ordinary "web-only" day. :)

Bored? Definitely.

Brainless? Depends. A huge twilight zone of educational value between the topics of "net neutrality" and "goatse imitations"

Pau Duman said...

2,599 Favorites? You have been stumbling a lot! Yakakite Japan made me laugh!

You can't be bored or you won't click that much! Thanks for the SU name!

I ask for friends' playlists, bookmarks, and list of books to read. I just trust their taste. :) It spares me the review part.

Pau Duman said...

*Yakitate Japan! haha!

Andrew John Lena said...

Bored yes. 12 hours could easily be used to watch a season or two of anime.

It's just that web content nowadays is just as compelling (if not more) as traditional media like video games, magazines, TV, etc.

Either that, or am I really just soo bored.

Pau Duman said...

Then kill the boredom! If I have 12 hours, I will spend quarter of it on the web and the rest playing billiards or bowling or reading Psych books. I am not comfortable with sitting for more than 3 hours. I need to do some physical activity or it will make me unhappy.

Sports is more compelling to me than media. The adrenaline rush and sweat are addicting. I think that's also the reason why I only play fighting video games instead of series games.

You have really tried that? 12 hours straight?

Andrew John Lena said...

Includes breaks of 20 or so minutes to eat/drink something. :)

The "straight" means my waking hours were devoted to nothing else other than reading websites. It's then called a "web-only" day.

It's less boring that way coz you're forced to concentrate on just one task -- surfing.

But the more important issue there is -- why do it in the first place?

:D

Pau Duman said...

Less boring because you're forced to concentrate on just one task <--funny! Man, your SU site is addicting! "Web-only" day? I have sports year, politics year, travel year, job-searching (like soul-searching) year, etc.

Why do it in the first place? Out of habit?

Can I rip your movies and series folder? :D Haha. I got 1TB free space! Do you schedule your media consumption? I do, I just can't follow it of course.

Andrew John Lena said...

Folder? More like hard disk. XD

Now that school's in, it's only down to 1 hour a day at best. :(

Pau Duman said...

Booo! Do you have Big Bang Theory? Wehehe. :D