Friday, February 4, 2011

Art and Other Drugs

One of my best experiences would be my visit to the Metropolitan Museum. Inside, I was certain to see something astonishing in every corner. All wings were filled with artifacts, relics, sculptures and paintings which immediately drew my attention. It was like an addiction to colors and contours and I was having the ultimate high. With all the rooms to wander around in and all corridors to explore, one day was clearly inadequate. Had it not been for security, I would have sneaked inside a sarcophagus until the wee hours and roam the hallways just like in the Ben Stiller movie. That being a felony, I settled for the next best thing and took as many pictures as I could, only to return the following day to finish all the halls I missed. Needless to say, I rushed through the rooms just to be able catch a glimpse and a half of everything. I wasn’t able to soak it all in since I was pressed for time. Instead, I just viewed over and over the shots I took that day. And since I still have the files stored in my computer, I can get a healthy dose of my drug at any time.

But there is now a better drug available. Just recently, Google collaborated with world-acclaimed museums to allow people to view more than a thousand artworks online in extraordinary detail.[1] They call it the Art Project[2]. Basically, it allows a person to take a virtual tour around museums and zoom in and out of paintings to magnify particular points. I’m not sure if this could be of assistance in finding the “S” and “L” markings in Mona Lisa’s eye[3] or even in helping locate the ever elusive Waldo in numerous settings but surely this would raise awareness and appreciation of the arts in an all new level.

Artworks online may not be a novel idea but the interactivity and the interface of the website is engaging. Think of it as being able to sneak in a museum after office hours without resorting to the hatched plan involving the sarcophagus.






-Evangelista, Emmanuel Benedict C. (Blog Entry No. 11)


No comments: