Friday, February 11, 2011

Paranoia Drones

I just had a nightmare. I dreamt that while I was running in an open area, I looked up the sky and saw an aerial vehicle flashing laser beams like crazy, slicing through everything it passed. The roads had indentations everywhere and a lot of buildings have already collapsed. There were a lot of people running, and the screaming was deafening.

I know for a fact that it was caused by a deep-seated fear of predator drone attacks. Not that it's imminent (God I hope not), but reading about it, talking about it, and thinking about it gives me the creeps. I recently shared with my students how data about people are mined, how intelligence about people have become so easy to obtain, and how easy it was to target and kill people using predator drones.

Essentially, predator drones are unmanned aerial vehicles that are controlled from a distant command station. Earlier, predator drones were used for surveillance and the images are projected onto a screen. Now, they're loaded with hellfire missiles (so it's not the same laser beams in my dream) that are capable of targeting and annihilating the target from a distance of 15km. There are variations in specs - capability, capacity, hovering time, and even size. It can be as large as planes and are capable of hovering for more than 24 hours, looking for the target. I read somewhere that they've developed predator drones that are just a few inches small but is capable of lethal force.

Wow. So you're just sitting there watching TV and from out of nowhere, a predator drone strikes you and your limbs are just all over the place.

It's now commonly used in anti-terrorist campaigns. The targeting information comes from somewhere and then, KABOOM. The suspected terrorist is dead. They say the targeting information is accurate, but who knows? No arrest, no trial, no nothing. Just like that, and you're dead. And again, I read somewhere, that the Philippines has it down south. Wow. Creepy.

Predator drones are supposedly accurate and are able to zoom in on their targets, but the collateral damage is still horrendous. I've also read a study about predator drone operators and the Playstation effect. For some of these operators, it's just about pressing buttons and hitting targets onscreen. Creepy again.


Predator drones seriously raise human rights and international humanitarian law issues. And as for me, serious nightmare issues.



Salma Angkaya
Entry #11

No comments: