Thursday, February 17, 2011

Google Maps

I recently just rediscovered Google maps. I’ve always appreciated its utility, especially when going to some elusive part of Manila, or some unknown hidden beach in Batangas (I actually really just relied on Google maps when I drove to Calatagan). But quite recently, I was amused by the improved features it added to the program. Sure enough, there’s the usual maps of the streets, and its satellite version. But there are two features which I especially found amusing.

First, it gives you a picture of the street from a first person point of view. All you have to do is to drag the icon of a little yellow man into the street, and then the program gives you a view of the actual location as if you were actually standing there. The usefulness of this feature is palpable. It gives you a glimpse of what to actually look for, instead of guessing which McDonald’s branch to look for. Furthermore, it gives you a better idea of the distance from one block to the next.

Second, there’s the “get direction” feature. It gives you direction on how to get from one point to another. What’s great about it is that it tells you how to get there either by foot, by bus or by car.

Too bad these features are only available for searches in the US. Try googling Manila, and you will definitely be disappointed. Nonetheless, I found myself amused by the program. Above its utility, it made me excited to travel around the world, and to visit places I’ve never been to before.

JERIC ALVIN CRUZ Blog 13

No comments: