Monday, February 14, 2011

Last Hurrah

Maybe it was the cold February winds that made me turn that dial and chance upon a radio show which, if it was any other time I would have dismissed as pathetic, ironically made me make up my mind.

A caller was asking for advice because her boyfriend left her, went to Singapore, and there within a week found a replacement. The DJ was frank, straight-to-the-point, and at times verging on rudeness about his comments but nonetheless, for all intents and purposes, he was right-- the caller had to move on, painful as it may be but necessary for her own sanity.

What got me stopping dead on my tracks, pulling over the side of the road, and thinking was the DJ's three little words of letting go-- Thank you, Sorry, and Goodbye. It actually made sense and basically covered everything a person would need to say to move on. Everything that I needed to move on.

Thank You...
for the long dinners, the late night movies, the conversations.
for your addicting smile, your warmth, your everything.
for the lies.


Sorry...
for being persistent, annoying and overbearing
for being insensitive and for letting you down.
if you needed to lie just not to hurt me.


Goodbye...
to hopelessly waiting for your call and longing for your voice.
to desperately wishing you'd notice when I'm not around.
to your lies which have kept me hanging and to my blind refusal to see that there is no us.


Paul Obmina entry no. 12

No comments: