Thursday, February 24, 2011

Manny's Crib

We've all seen the video. But it's worth watching again.


I admire Manny. Like most people in the world, I think that Manny is the greatest fighter that has ever stepped into a boxing ring. What impresses me the most, more than his natural talent, intrinsically strong punch and complex foot work, is his palpable humility whether inside or outside the raised boxing platform. I love that he always show respect not only towards his opponent, but more importantly, towards the sport.

This is why I was excited to find out that he was featured in MTV Cribs, which we all know is a show where celebrities get to show-off their fabulous homes. Manny of course was his usual humble self, and his humility shows in his house. I would have expected that someone of his stature would build a fancier house than what we saw. I am sure that he is more than able to afford it anyways. But his house, while really beautiful, is surprisingly small and simple. Or maybe my expectations were way too high.

I have to say though that Manny is a boring host! Those who have seen the show before knows that what makes the show isn't just the tour of the house itself. Viewers are given the rare opportunity to actually see the behavior of these stars in their own homes. Furthermore, we get to hear about the back story of every room, as well as their own little complaints about the members of their family. But in Manny's case, there wasn't anything interesting in there. I don't know what he was thinking when, instead of narrating the perks and intricacies of being a world renowned superstar, he merely showed what was inside his refrigerator, including his iggs! (Sorry Manny, I just had to type that in).

In any case, it is amazing how today, in the continuing advent of technology, we can instantly become guests in the house of our most admired celebrities. A couple of decades ago, it was unimaginable to have a glimpse of the houses of our idols. Today, that is more than possible, because of shows such as "MTV Cribs", the increasing popularity of narrow-band, and the utility of Youtube.

JERIC CRUZ Blog #14

No comments: