Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Cupid Bug Begins

I used to say that Valentines could never do me wrong because no matter what happened the day would be special for me (my birthday falls on bloody hearts day). But it's been three years of testing this theory and I can finally feel the pangs of anxiety as societal pressure tells me something's missing in my life. And nowhere is societal pressure higher than online. A majority of sites available online are clamoring to tell its visitors what's important in life and what opinion matters. And as Valentines comes rolling in, options for bouquet purchases, date places, and gift ideas are cropping up like crazy (let's not even get started on the FB statuses and pictures!). Well, this mush-filled and cheese-raining season I refuse to be indoctrinated. Peer pressure can't win every time. Someone once told me that three little words shouldn't be enough to win me over. "I love you" shouldn't cut it. Only two words should be enough. And until I hear those two words, I'll rest secure that I'm not missing out. Until then, I'll welcome the beautiful letdowns that come my way.

Maricris L. Real
Entry No. 11

No comments: