Thursday, July 9, 2009

The 6th

There are only five things I know about Michael Jackson: (1) I know that he and his brothers formed the group Jackson 5, a popular band in the 70s. (2) I know his music were good and sent wide range of messages from the most mundane issue in the world to the most important and relevant. (3) He invented a ridiculous dance move—moonwalk—and made it a global phenomenon. (4) He lived a controversial life but still maintained his popularity. (5) He is the King of Pop.

That’s it.

Admittedly, I do not know a lot, but I know he affected me one way or another. I never purchased (original or pirated) any of his albums, but I can sing most of his songs. I will not imitate the crazy life he had lived, but I thank him for using his popularity to help those in need, like raising funds for relief of famine and disease in Africa. I do not idolize him like half the world does, but I also shed a teardrop when Usher sang in his memorial service.

His memorial caused global web traffic to rise least 19 percent above normal, and as high as 33 percent above normal, during most of the star-studded memorial at the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, California, according to Akamai Technologies, a Massachusetts-based firm that monitors Internet traffic. CNN.com reported 9.7 million live video streams Tuesday between 12 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET -- which included the entire memorial service -- according to CNN spokeswoman Jennifer Martin. During that period Tuesday, CNN.com also attracted 81 million page views, 11.8 unique visitors and a peak of 781,000 concurrent live video streams, according to internal data. Though the memorial failed to break the record set by the inauguration of Obama, still it was amazing! I do not think that the numbers actually matter, but the outpour of emotions and incredible display of love for the pop star which really count.

Now, I know a 6th thing about Michael: To Paris, he lost the best father that she will ever have, to us, we lost the greatest performer we will ever have.

No comments: