Monday, July 13, 2009

Aaow! Annie, are you ok? Are you okay, Annie?

I was in the classroom, waiting for Pub Off to begin, when I learned of Michael Jackson’s death. (*roll eyes* Oh no, not another Michael Jackson post!) I couldn’t believe what my classmates were saying. Did that mean that my Michael Jackson CDs appreciated in value? (I’m not that heartless. I just remembered my misplaced CDs. Oh well, wherever they are, I hope that Michael and Elvis are at least together. My CDs, I mean.)

Although I claim to be a fan, don’t expect me to know all his songs. I won’t even be able to tell you 10 titles, much less lyrics to the most famous of his songs. When I like a song while listening to it, what I remember is that I like it. How it made me feel. (This is one of the reasons why I am no good at karaoke.)

So I was indeed surprised when I found out that Michael Jackson, aside from being the King of pop, is also an inventor. He has a US Patent for an invention called Method and means for creating anti-gravity illusion. You don’t have to believe me. Do a patent search for US Patent No. 5,255,452 on the US Patent and Trademark Office website www.uspto.gov.

The invention involves the illusion of Michael Jackson defying gravity when he leans forward at an angle that is just not physically possible! In his video (Smooth Criminal), the move was created by using a harness and cables hooked to the stage. This wouldn’t do for live performances; thus the invention. The invention consists of a shoe that allows a person to clamp himself on the stage and allowing the superhuman dance move to be done.

Inspired by this information, I want to have my own patent! I went to the IPO Philippines website (www.ipophil.gov.ph) to try the Patent search. This will be useful for me in the future when I have my invention patented and fulfill my childhood dream of being an inventor. That is, if I ever invent any technical solution of a problem in any field of human activity which is new, involves an inventive step and is industrially applicable.

No comments: