Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Addicted

I’m an addict…  there…  you heard it right.

I’m addicted to S60 symbian-powered mobile phones.  Since the first S60 symbian device that hit the Philippines (the Nokia 7650), I’ve probably owned every one of its descendants.  I just fell in love with the infinite customizations you can do with the operating system, plus the ever expanding storage capacity, increasing processor speed, ever improving internet connectivity, and the constantly improving camera.  There's also the built in organizer, not to mention that it is also capable of making and receiving calls and messages. ;)

Not too long ago, I got my hands on a symbian mobile device which supports DVB-H (Digital Video Broadcasting – Handheld) TV.  After finding out that only a few countries had DVB-H at the time, I decided not to check out that feature. Heck, if the US doesn’t have it, nor other asian countries, why would the Philippines? Or so I thought. 

Just a few days ago, while stuck in traffic, I decided to fiddle with my phone’s DVB-H, and lo and behold, I had cable channels playing on my phone! 

At first, I thought I would be charged for the content, or at least for the connection.  I immediately set my phone ‘off-line’ to check if the service was network dependent, and I happily found out that it wasn’t.  I was very pleasantly surprised it was for free.

Wow!  Communications technology has come a long way.  In the near future, I expect to be able to watch the news and loads of other content on the go.  Now that’s instant access.

The Philippines can say that it is one of the pioneers in this technology if we pursue it.  After all (after checking the net just now), we are one of the only 14 territories in the world that have DVB-H. 

Now I can watch crystal clear and crisp digital TV on my mobile for free.  That’s fuel for my addiction.

No comments: