Thursday, July 23, 2009

Too Much Info

I continue to be amazed at the voluminous information that is being fed to us on an hourly, daily basis from all corners of the world. I do not really think I need to know that there was a fatality during the latest running of the bulls in Pamplona. And should I really care about the on-going investigation regarding the death of Michael Jackson. It bothers me however that North Korea continues to flaunt its nuclear missiles as we are within the Asia region. I also am worried about the fact that the economic recovery in the United States has not really began yet.

In the local scene, should I really care about the fact the Ate Glo had breast implants and that Randy David owns and drives a motorcycle? Do I really care how Manolo Lopez reacted when his elder brother, Oskie, decided to sell a major portion of his family’s holdings in Manila Electric Company ?

Advances in telecommunications and the proliferation of news networks have forced us to receive all these information. And most of these are not really important or necessary for us to live our lives. But nonetheless, they continue to intrude.

Life was a lot more simple when I was growing up. And it was more parochial, too. We were more interested in local community news. If one wanted entertainment, just go out of the house and friends would be there. I never heard my parents discuss the fact that the US & the USSR were locked in a deadly nuclear arms race. Even if they knew, they did not seem to be bothered by it. I doubt whether they knew the existence of all the gulags in Siberia. I would suspect that they did not really care if there were several hundreds of them. There lives revolve around the people around them and they really couldn’t be bother with news and information that do not directly affect their lives.

Sometimes, I wish for those go all days.

No comments: