Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Crack Me Up

Until I was in second year in UP Law, I used only one email address, which I created back in Grade 6. I saw no need to change it because one, I did not use a schoolgirl nickname with my crush’s initials, and two, I wanted to spare myself of informing everyone of the change and conforming all my internet accounts with it.

But one Saturday afternoon more than a year ago, I was aghast and ready to cry after I’ve tried several times to open my email account, but always to no avail. Each time, I slowly typed my password, but after every enter came the notification that I gave the wrong password. Oh no. I was compiler for the block’s subject digests, and I had just asked my classmates to email their submissions instead of uploading it to the Groups account, and I had to distribute copies by Monday morning. Uh-oh.

I used a different laptop, hoping that it was just a computer or internet glitch. Nothing. Thinking it was a prank, I asked friends and family, but all denied participation. After all, I told no one of my password, and I changed often, so I couldn’t fault anyone.

I had no other choice but to create a new address, text each of my classmates to resend their digests, and eventually do the things I avoided in creating a new address. Whoever cracked, or hacked, into my account must really hate me to time it really well when I had a very important task to finish. If it was meant to crack me up, I didn’t laugh.

The internet is concededly an innovation that has its abundant share of pros. But there are of course several concerns that come with it, such as the issue of security and safety of data and information, among others. My account was relatively unimportant, so my trouble was nothing compared to what corporations and governments go through when the same happens to them. It will be no surprise when war will be waged because of a click of the mouse.

1 comment:

Paolo San Jose said...

good day Attorney!

Just want to ask a question. I am a graduate of B.S. in Marine Transportation. I want to take a law. Specifically to be in maritime law. Do my course a good pre law? thanks!