Thursday, July 9, 2009

Kids' Time Log

Browsing through my nieces’ (shared) laptop, I found pictures of the stars of the K-drama “Boys Over Flowers.” I rolled my eyes in disbelief. Downloading and playing. So this is what they do during the hours they are logged on! Read: H-O-U-R-S! How old are they again? 9 and 10 years old?

According to the report from Nielsen Online released last Monday, “Kids from two to 11 years of age are spending 63 percent more time online than they did five years ago.” (Err…two years old? Why do they have to go surf the web again?) No wonder kids nowadays wear spectacles earlier than their adult counterparts  they’ve their eyes glued to the monitors at an early age and how long!

The news article I read went on to say that “Children in that age range were online an average of 11 hours in May 2009 versus just 7 hours in May 2004. Over the past five years, the total number of kids surfing the Net has shot up 18 percent to 16 million, says the report, while the overall Internet population has risen only 10 percent. The younger set now represents 9.5 percent of the online community.”

With the advent of Facebook, online gaming, and online videos among others, who could really blame them for being interested in something oh-so-interesting? The Internet is no longer just for “academic” research but more for “cyberstalking” and “cyberslacking.” I sure hope my nieces don’t get addicted to “Restaurant City” and “Pet Society” or that means they would’ve logged on more hours than I have. Hmm…which reminds me, I have this trade request I need to respond to back in FB! *waves adieu*

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Hahaha! Two year-olds surfing the net! I know a certain baby younger than 2 who likes to sit on her mommy's lap whenever the latter is working on the computer. The baby types gibberish. (Hmm... this makes me think gibberish is actually a language coz babies talk it and now they type it, too.)The baby also likes to go to the playhouse disney website to play games and to youtube to watch talented people and kids sing or play instruments. Oh and she knows how to turn off the computer! If her mommy weren't proud of her, she would be pissed coz she hadn't been able to save her work!!! But she's proud of the baby coz the little one figured it out by herself. I shouldn't be surprised. My aunt commented once that babies are geniuses. imagine that, we were all geniuses at one time. We just became dumber because school teaches us what to answer and what to ask.