Thursday, July 16, 2009

Recovery

If you would scroll down to the bottom of this blog post, you will notice that I have changed usernames. Actually I created another gmail account. Simply put, I created another account because I forgot my new password.

My brother says that it would be a good practice to change e-mail passwords every so often for security reasons. There are key-logger programs in most computer shops he says, I remembered this fact when a friend said that his friendster account was hacked. The person who logged-in using his password sent out announcements that he was coming out of the closet and whatnot, even changing his profile to make it appear that he was gay. I was laughing insensitively saying that I really thought it was him then we proceeded to refer to the incident as "the day the bukas-friendster-gang vandalized his friendster account." The "bukas-friendster-gang" even changed his password, effectively taking full control of his account, he had to text everyone regarding this incident and the usual response was my response: "Don't worry pare, we always thought you were gay, no damage done, hehe."

Out of this fear of clever retort came the urge to change passwords, and since I have deleted my friendster and facebook accounts, I focused on securing my e-mail account by changing passwords once in a while, until this week when I forgot my new password.

I tried to reset or recover my password, however, I forgot the answer to the security question. What was the question? "What is your father's name?" I tried all of my father's aliases and even his real name, but all of them did not work. I tried to remember what cheeky answer I would have given when I created my, now former, gmail account, but to no avail. After being stressed out for a whole day, I decided to let go, so I created a new gmail account.

As a lesson from this whole ordeal, I realized that perhaps I should save my new passwords on my cellphone. And that I should take security questions seriously, and not put some answer which I felt was clever at the time.

No comments: