Thursday, January 20, 2011

How to become President and make your first album hit Platinum for Dummies




According to Wikipedia:

An Internet meme [/ˈmm/, rhyming with "cream"] is used to describe a concept that spreads via the Internet. In its most basic form, an Internet meme is simply an idea that is propagated through the Web. This idea may take the form of a hyperlink, video, website, hashtag, or even just a word or phrase. This meme may spread from person to person via social networks, blogs, direct email, news sources, and other web-based services. Commercially, they are now actively used in viral marketing, seen as a free form of mass advertising.

I'm sure most of us (if not everyone) has at one time or another come across those "chainletter-like" status messages, profile pictures, wall posts or note posts, profile pictures in Facebook. Do you recall, for instance, the time when just about every female Facebook user had a color as her status message? By the time men started wondering, the news was out. The colors actually referred to the female users' bra color at the time of posting, and was supposedly part of a breast cancer awareness strategy.

How about twibbons? I'm sure we're all familiar with the black twibbon for the Maguindanao massacre, and the yellow twibbon for the death of former President Corazon Aquino as well as for the election strategy of now President Nonoy Aquino. Profile picture switching is also common. Just last month, a lot of Facebook users switched profile pictures to "commemorate" childhood and to honor some cause which I already forgot. And about two months ago, there was the (Your name) "Kay Ganda" craze in Facebook supposedly designed to promote Philippine tourism. Though I personally think the craze was started to muffle the copyright issues related to the new "Pilipinas Kay Ganda" logo. But it was fun, and my sister generated one for me and I had it as my profile picture for about a week, while almost everyone in the UP Law community had the "I support the UP Law Faculty" profile pictures.

Just yesterday, I indulged myself again in one of these viral Facebook tags. The mechanics were simple, and I spent a few minutes designing the "cover" of my "first album". Here are the mechanics:

1 - Go to wikipedia and hit random. The first random wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.
2 - Go to quotationspage.com and hit random. The last four or five words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album.
3 - Go to flickr and click on “explore the last seven days”. Third picture no matter what it is, will be your album cover.
4 - Use photoshop or similar (picnik.com is a free online photo editor) to put it all together.
5 - Post it with this text in the "caption" and TAG the friends you want to join in.

And here's how it came up for me:



Anyway, I just thought that maybe, I should give proper credits:
1) The name of my band, "Ronald Heard" is actually the name of a WWW wrestler who eventually retired as an Amway salesman.
2) The full quote that turned up was "Those who welcome death have only tried it from the ears up." (Wilson Mizner)
3) The third picture that came out was an untitled photo by snippets from suburbia. Interestingly, the caption says, "Listen"

Put all together, the idea conveyed is something like "Ronald heard the woman underwater from the ear up." Funny coincidence. Just to be clear, I didn't cheat okay. I honestly followed the instructions.

Some might say that I'm a fool for falling for these Internet memes. But they're fun. Just look at the album cover I came up with.


Salma F. Angkaya
Entry #8
(The real entry #8, as required)

No comments: