Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas and New Year, and Skype



My sister is currently working her way to become a nurse in Copenhagen, Denmark. This year we are celebrating Christmas and New Year in our home here in General Santos City without her.

Thankfully, high speed internet has become affordable. This is one of those rare moments when I laud capitalism (competition, better pricing). Yes, she is not here with us physically. But thanks to Skype, we can talk to her for as long as our internet connection permits. Of course, most important of all, we can see her. Carrying her laptop with her, she showed us around the house of her host family.

We were pleased to know that she is in safe hands. She already told us before several times how happy she is with her accommodation in Denmark and how nice her host family is. But, seeing what she merely described to us is still a different feeling.

Last year my Smartbro connection was ridiculously slow that I had to borrow a Globe USB internet kit from a cousin just to communicate through Skype. This year, Smart connection has improved a lot. We were able to talk to her uninterrupted by fluctuating signal. Best of all, at a very low cost!!!

The Internet is surely changing the lives of ordinary families such as ours. Years ago, there were several studies conducted stating that more and more Filipino families are breaking apart because parents had to go abroad to seek better opportunities. I am beginning to wonder if the results of those studies would change if they were conducted in the age of Skype.

The results of such new study, I am certain, would have great implications in policy making. One of the reasons for the urgency of domestic job generation after all, pertains to the emotion-laden rationale of families falling apart in view of breadwinners seeking opportunities abroad.

True, physical presence is still different but talking and actually seeing one’s loved one from time to time, feels different. It is quite comforting. I remember my mom really cried a lot when my sister left for Copenhagen. My mom was probably thinking that the situation would be the same when her brother left for the Middle East for several years during which time, letters through snail mail, was the only means of communicating with one’s loved ones. Telephone was then very costly.

Our hearts were put at ease when we saw she was doing well in Copenhagen. My sister might not be here in time for my graduation (God willing), but hey, she can watch me through Skype.




***The picture above shows my sister with The Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen (They say that it is a must-see for visitors of Copenhagen. I am not sure though if it is a Danish tale. hehe. But it is a National Monument)

Bryan A. San Juan
Entry No. 6

No comments: